Ranjit Sagar Dam Project with an installed capacity 600 MW and 160 metre high earth core cum gravel shell Dam is a gigantic multipurpose river valley project. Project is named after Maharaja Ranjit Singh the renowned ruler of Punjab. Dam is located in a gorge section near village Thein of J&K and as such it is also known as Thein Dam. It is 24 Km upstream of Madhopur Head Works. Ranjit Sagar Reservoir spreading in an area of 8700 sqkm falls in three states of J&K, Punjab & Himachal Pradesh. Project is an embodiments of inter state relationship.
Indus water treaty was signed between India and Pakistan 1960. India has exclusive rights on the waters of River Ravi. Ravi unit-I scheme comprising of Ranjit Sagar Dam & Shahpurkandi Dam was conceived for optimum utilization of the water of river Ravi in Punjab for Hydro Power Generation & Irrigation.
The project was commissioned on 12th August 2000 and was dedicated to the nation by the then Hon’ble Prime Minister of India on 4th March 2001.
- The Ranjit Sagar Dam is the highest earth core-cum-gravel shell dam in India.
- The Power Plant has the second biggest Hydro-Turbine in India.
- The Project has the largest dia. Penstock in India.
- The foundation gallary under the Rockfill Dam has been provided for the first time in India.
Salient Features of The Project
|Catchment area||6086 sq. km|
|Reservoir area||87.00 sq. km.|
|Gross Storage capacity||3280 million cum|
|Live storage capacity||2344 million cum|
|Dam Type||Earth core-cum-gravel shell dam|
|Top level of the Dam||EL 540.00 m|
|Maximum height of dam||147.00 m.|
|Length at Top of the dam||617.00 m.|
|Width at top of the dam||14.00 m|
|Maximum width at base of the dam||669.2 m|
|Normal reservoir level||527.91 m.|
|Clear water-way of spillway||109 m.|
|Crest level of spillway||EL 511 .7 m.|
|Maximum outflow||24637 cumecs|
|Spillway design flood||20678 cumecs|
|No. of Penstock Headers||2|
|No. of Penstock Branches||4|
|Dia of each Penstock Header||8.5 m.|
|Dia of each Penstock Branches||5.17 m.|
|Type of turbines||Vertical Shaft Francis|
|Maximum net head||121.9 m.|
|Minimum net head||76.0 m.|
Govt. of India has declared Ranjit Sagar Dam Reservoir as a National Wetland and the project has come under National wetland conservation programme.
Project organization is headed by Chief Engineer who is assisted by Superintending Engineers looking after different circles as below:-
Superintending Engineer Admn & Disposal Circle:- This circle looks after general administration and disposal of used/unserviceable machinery and equipment. Circle is assisted by the following divisions:-
- Project & R.M. Division
- Personnel Division
- Township Division No-I
- Township Division No-II
Superintending Engineer Civil Circle:- This circle looks after the operation and maintenance of all civil structures and road communication network of the project. Circle is assisted by the following divisions:-
- Communication Division
- Dam Construction & Spillway Conc. Division
- Store Division
- Personnel Division
- Disposal Division
Superintending Engineer Mechanical Circle:- This circle looks after the operation and maintenance of all mechanical machinery, equipment and transport vehicles. Circle is assisted by the following divisions:-
- Plant Erection & Rigging Division
- Electrical Division
- Field Mechanical & Concrete Production Division
- Workshop Division
DPD & CPO :- This Directorate provides services to other circles/divisions in terms of design of various works/structures as well as procurement of material. This Directorate is comprises of the following divisions:-
- Inspection & Quality Control Division
- Senior Design Engineer
- Purchase Officer
Apart from generating electricity project has resulted into the following benefits:-
- Increase in Irrigation intensity of UBDC tract as well as power from UBDC Power House, as a result of regulated supply from Ranjit Sagar Dam Project.
- Flood control of river flow D/S of the Dam especially in Distt Gurdaspur & Distt. Amritsar.
- Land reclamation downstream of Madhopur Head Works on river Ravi.
- Development of Tourism and recreation facilities in adjoining area of reservoir in Punjab, H.P. & J&K.
- Development of fisheries in the reservoir and Socio-Economic uplift of the people of the region.