There are three perennial Rivers namely Ravi, Beas & Sutlej and one non-perennial river namely River Ghaggar in the State of Punjab. Besides these rivers several Choes, Nadies and Khads also traverse the State of Punjab and out falling into these Rivers. Mainly Sakki/ Kiran Nallah, Sakki Nallah Diversion, Patti Nallah, Kasur Nallah, Hudiara Nallah, Chand Bhan Drain, Budha Nallah, Chand Bhan Diversion Drain, Jhabowali Choe, Swan Nadi etc.
The drainage administration has created infrastructure of about 1800 Kms. long flood protection embankments, 3800 Nos. River Training Works and 7200 Km long drainage network for proper drainage of rain water to save the agriculture land from fury of floods and to check the water logging in the water logged areas. The length of various rivers Embankment thereof falling in Punjab State are as below:
- River Beas L = 256.43 Km, Embankment = 215.84 Km,
- River Sutlej L = 582.68 Km, Embankment = 484.12 Km,
- River Ravi L = 141.29 Km, Embankment = 245.28 Km
- River Ghaggar L = 165.00 Km, Embankment = 252.81 Km
Projects of Drainage Administration
Recently Completed Projects
- The project for Const. of Flood Protection Works along River Beas & Sutlej in Hoshiarpur, Jalandhar & Nawanshehar Districts & Canalization of Mehangerwal Choe & Rahon Creek in Hoshiarpur District under NABARD RIDF VII.
- The project for Flood protection & Drainage works on river Ghaggar, its tributaries &Tangri Nadi under NABARD RIDF IX.
- The project for Flood protection projects in Gurdaspur and Amritsar districts under NABARD RIDF X.
- Construction of embankments & widening of river Ghaggar from Khanauri to Karail under NABARD RIDF XII.
- Drainage project for improving agriculture production by controlling water logging problem in Muktsar district under NABARD RIDF XII.
- Drainage project for improving agriculture production by controlling water logging problem in Muktsar district under NABARD RIDF XIII.
- 27 No. projects related with tackling of water logging in Muktsar district under NABARD RIDF XIV
- 9 No. projects related with tackling of water logging in Muktsar district under NABARD RIDF XIV
- Canalization of Sakki/Kiran Nallah
- Construction of bridges on river Ghaggar from villages for roads connecting villages Karail to Handa and Moonak to Tohana.
- Project proposal for various works to be executed on river Ghaggar in the state of Punjab for Rs. 428.27 crores
- Project for taming river Ravi by providing/restoring flood protection works over it in district Gurdaspur & Amritsar of Punjab State for Rs. 513.69 crores.
- Construction of flood protection and drainage works on river Beas in the State of Punjab for Rs. 357.79 crores
- Construction of flood protection and drainage works on river Sutlej in the State of Punjab for Rs. 418.32 crores
|Sr. No.||Name of work||Cost (Rs. in lacs)|
Amritsar Drainage Circle, Amritsar
|Project proposal for constructing various flood protection works to check land erosion, for the safety of village abadies and other strategic Defence installation along River Ravi in district Gurdaspur||
|Project proposal for constructing various flood protection works to check land erosion for the safety of village abadies on river Chakki and River Beas in Distt. Gurdaspur||
|Project proposal for constructing various flood protection works to check land erosion by river Ujh on its tributaries on left and right banks for the safety of village abadies agricultural land and other strategic Defence installation in district Gurdaspur.||
|Project estimate for construction Flood Protection embankment from X-Regulator of K.K. Ditch RD 0 to RD 21000 at Dhaya village Muthianwala in District Taran Taran.||
|Project estimate for bringing to design section of flood protection embankment from RD 0-61000 on R/S of River Sutlej D/S Harike Head Works and Flood Protection Embankment from RD 0-48000 on R/S of River Sutlej D/S Patti Nallah and raising of Dhaya Bundh from RD 0-38000 in village Mehndipur District Taran Taran||
Project estimate for providing Flood Protection Works for the safety of abadies and to control erosion of C-land of villages Jalalabad, Goindwal Sahib, Khakh Mianin, Kambo Dhaya, Marrar and vulnerable site in districts Amritsar and Taran Taran.
|Jalandhar Drainage Circle , Jalandhar|
|Const of FPW on River Sutlej and Local Protection Works along Choes in district Nawanshehar||
|Const of FPW along L/S of Rives Beas in district Hoshiarpur to check the land erosion and to save village abadies.||
|Construction of FPW works on U/S & D/S Dhilwan along River Beas in Distt. Kapurthala||
|Plugging and Stg. breaches and bringing to design section FPE in district Hoshiarpur||
|Const of FPW along River Sutlej from RD 65000 of 1-R Bandh and RD 90000 of 3-R Bandh in district Nawanshehar and Jalandhar||
|Const. of FPW from RD 90000 to 181625 of 3-R Bandh and Gidderpindi Extension Bandh RD 0-20000 along River Sutlej in District Jalandhar and Kapurthala||
|Stg. of left side Dhussi Bandh from RD 47000-216000 in district Nawanshehar and Jalandhar.
|Const. of Advance Bandh from RD 0-40500 opp. RD 6425 along River Sutlej in District Kapurthala Ferozepur and Jalandhar.||
|Ferozepur Drainage Circle, Ferozepur|
|Construction of Advance Bandh from RD 41975 to 46895 connecting Budha Creek Bandh to tie spur at RD 20400 of LMB in district Ferozepur.||
|Stg. Of FPW works on River Sutlej in District Ferozepur.||
|Constructing regulator at RD 0 of Phidda Outfall Drain in district Ferozepur||
|Construction of Kairon Advance Bundh from RD 0-27950 connecting RD 140000 of 5-L Bandh and RD 30280 of Gidderpindi Bandh on L/S of River Sutlej in district Ferozepur||
|Construction of Advance Bundh connecting Hazara Singh Wala Bandh and FP Bandh in Distt. Ferozepur||
|Construction of Mamdot Link Drain from RD 0-14500 in district Ferozepur.||