Water Resources Organisation
Water Resources Organisation is primarily entrusted with Research and Development activities relating to ground water and surface water.
Various activities being undertaken by this organisation are Ground Water monitoring, collection of ground water data, preparations
of various maps to depict ground water level fluctuations, ground water investigations dynamic ground water estimation, collection and
storage of rainfall data and surface water data, up-gradation of hydro meteorological and surface water observation sites in Punjab State.
In addition to this, this organisation also deals with framing of policy matters like ground water legislation, state water policy and other matters relating to water resources referred by Government from time to time.
Ground Water related activities
- Water level depth below NSL for the period June 2016 (View Data)
- Collection of rainfall data (View Data)
- Categorisation of Blocks (View Data)
- Dynamic Ground Water Estimation depicting the stage of development of ground water resources. (Click Here)
- Deep ground water investigations to identify aquifer parameters
- Blocks Notified by Central Ground Water Authority in Punjab (View List)
All these activities are being carried through Water Resources and Environment Directorate located at Water Resources Bhawan, SAS Nagar.
Surface Water related activities
- Up gradation of hydro meteorological network in Punjab State (View List)
- Up gradation of discharge observation sites
- Maintaining data base for surface water
All these activities are being carried through Planning & Design Studies Directorate located at Water Resources Bhawan, SAS Nagar.
ORGANISATIONAL SET UP
PROJECTS EXECUTED RECENTLY
- World Bank Aided Hydrology Project Phase-2 – Implemented During 05.04.2006 to 30.11.2014.
- Artificial Recharge to Augment the declining Ground Water Resources in the Punjab State - The Project closed on 31-03-2015
WORKS EXECUTED UNDER HYDROLOGY PROJECT PHASE-II
Hydrology Project Phase-II aided by World Bank has been implemented in Punjab State along with 12 other states and 9 Central Agencies through Ministry of Water Resources, Government of India. The Project was started during the year 2006-07 and closed on 30.11.2014.
This project has been executed by Water Resources wing of Irrigation department.
This will help the state water resources authorities to have better and more reliable evaluation and estimation of water resources available in the State.
The main objectives of the Project is to improve and develop ground water and surface water network of observations of hydrological data and also hydrometerological data along with the data analysis storage and its use on the water resources projects/works/studies. The present system for observation of this data was insufficient and to improve the data observation, new network has been created in the state under the Project. This will help the water resources authorities to have better and more reliable evaluation and estimation of available water resources for better planning and management of State water resources.
Achievements under the Project
Groundwater Data Observation Network
About 750 Ground Water Observation Wells have been installed in the State and out of this 100 observations wells are digital and 50 digital observation wells are equipped with telemetry system. The telemetry observation of ground water is real time and one can see the ground water level of a particular area any time online.
Surface Water Data Observation Network
The 25 number gauge sites on the rivers and other locations have been upgraded and modernized for accurate measurement of flow. At 9 sites, digital water level recorders with telemetry system have been installed for discharge measurement and real time transmission of this data.
Hydro-meteorological Data Observation Network
The existing rain gauge network of the department was nearly non-functional/inaccurate. Under the Project, 70 number digital rain gauges have been provided for instant measurement and transmission of rain fall data online.
Institutional Strengthening and Data Management
The processing, validation and storage of observed data has been taken up for its effective and useful use by the various users such as government departments of State and Central Government, Researchers, Universities, Students, Water Resources Experts etc. The observed data is being provided to these users.
In the field sectional office, stores in sub divisional offices/data centre have been constructed. State Data Centre namely Water Resources Bhawan has been constructed at SAS Nagar having the covered area of about 62000 sq ft. The building is housing various office of the Water Resources Organization under one roof.
- Construction of State Data Centre has been completed and all offices of Water Resources Organization are now working in Water Resources Bhawan, Sector 68, SAS Nagar since April 2015. View Pic 1 View-Pic 2
- Three Sub-Division data Centres constructed at Jalandhar ( District Jalandhar), Madhopur (District Pathankot) View Pic and Khanna ( District Ludhiana). View-Pic 1 View-Pic 2
- 750 Ground Water Observation Ponits Installed all over Punjab state. View Pic 1 View Pic 2
- 150 Digital Water Level Recorders installed in Punjab. View Pic 1 View Pic 2
- 70 Digital Rain-gauges, 1 Autographic Rain-gauge and 10 Standard Rain-gauges have been installed. View Pic 1 View Pic 2